For our salsa series, we wanted to showcase a recipe with a bit of a twist. Grilled Cherry Salsa kicks your palate with a tart and spicy punch.
2 cups bing cherries (pitted)
1 small red onion
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of olive oil
juice of 2 limes
1 (14.5 oz.) can of roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to the highest setting.
- Next, rub the onions and peppers with the olive oil. Set aside about 1 tablespoon to use for the cherries. Cut onions in half and place them along with the peppers on the grill until they char (approx. 3 minutes), turning as they do. Once cooled, roughly chop the onion and peppers. [If you want a spicier salsa, leave in all of half the seed pods, for milder salsa remove all of the seeds].
- Put the cherries and garlic in a grill basket/tray and toss with the leftover olive oil. Grill for about 3 minutes, or until the cherries blister, while tossing with a wooden spoon.
- Put the cherries, peppers, onions, garlic and lime juices in a food processor and pulse till desired texture is reached.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste, add extra lime if desired. Serve immediately, or store in fridge for a few days.